Friday, March 18, 2011

Challenge #2: Reading

I know that this is the moment all of my followers have been waiting for! My next 30 day challenge is going to be a reading challenge! If you know me you might be thinking, "This isn't going to be a challenge for Heather because she reads so much anyway." Well, you are sort of right. Right now I feel like my challenges are limited because of having two kids with one of them being a baby that is still pretty needy of me. I really didn't want to set myself up for failure on doing the second challenge so I had to come up with something that was doable for me. The reading challenge sounded like a great one to do because I love to read, but I knew that I had to make it more then just reading every day for 30 days because that would be too easy for me. So here is my challenge:

For the next 30 days I am going to try and read four books! That averages to about a book a week, which is a lot for me (I usually read two books a month). I will not be counting childrens' books in this challenge because I would be done with my challenge in an hour! I will be reading four novels, which I will list later. The total number of pages that I will be reading is 1,475 (49.16 pages per day). Every day I will blog about what I am reading, what my favorite part of that section was, or whatever comes to mind :)!

The books are (they are in order of how I hope to read them):
Moonwalking with Einstein by Joshua Foer

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein

Island Beneath the Sea by Isabel Allende

A Confederacy of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole

I belong to two book clubs and I am checking out a third. I know that three book clubs is a little overboard, but I mostly really enjoy my time out sans children and this is something that I can do for some adult time, which I really need since I stay at home with the boys. The first two books I am reading are for my book club that I have been going to the longest (it is also the book club where I met my husband!). Even though we aren't meeting until the first week of May I will be reading these two. The other two book clubs that I belong to picked books that I have already read so I had to come up with two more books that I want to read. The third book in my list is by one of my favorite authors, Isabel Allende. I really enjoy her writing and I have gone to two book readings by her and she is such a funny lady! When she talks about her books it just makes me want to read them more. I went to the reading for Island Beneath the Sea last year, but I never got around to reading it. The last book I chose because it is on my "List of Books to Read." This list is from the BBC Book List Challenge (Google it to see the full list. I got it from an app on Facebook). It is a list of 100 books and most of them are classics. They say that most people have only read 6 out of the 100. I have made it a goal of mine to read all 100 books. So far I have read 46! The Confederacy of Dunces is on this list, but it had been a book that I wanted to read prior to my knowledge about this list.

There you have it! My next 30 day reading challenge. If you would like to read along with me for all four books, or just one, please do! If you haven't joined Goodreads you should because it is an online site that lets you track the books that you have read and you can rate them. I really enjoy this site!

I will be starting this challenge tomorrow!

-Heather

1 comment: