Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Day 1: Sweet Potato Soup

Here are my meals for today:

Breakfast:
Greek Lowfat Plain Yogurt (do you know one serving has 24g of protein?)
Granola
Fresh blueberries
Maple syrup (grade B)

Lunch:
Salami (low sodium)
Sweet Potato Soup (recipe below)

Snack:

Monterrey Jack Cheese Stick
Potato Chips (I only had 4 and they were the popped kind)
Almonds
Dried Cherries
Fruit Bar
Tomato basil hummus
Sweet Plum tomatoes

Dinner:
Filet Mignon with a sun-dried tomato relish
Zucchini

Sweet Potato Soup with Yogurt courtesy of The Best Life Diet by Bob Greene

Serves 4
2 tsp olive oil (I used extra virgin)
1 small onion
1 tsp ground cumin
1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped
2 cups fat-free and low sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup lowfat plain yogurt (the original recipe called for nonfat yogurt, but I like the extra protein added to my meals)
Salt and pepper to taste

Over medium flame, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and cumin and saute for 10 minutes (I think 8 would be fine), stirring frequently. Add the sweet potato and chicken broth, raise the flame to high, and bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer the soup, until the potato is tender, 25-30 minutes.

Transfer the soup to a food processor or blender. Puree the soup at a low speed, until smooth. Add the yogurt and blend until incorporated. Season with salt and pepper and serve.

Per Serving Info: 1 serving is about 3/4 cup.
Calories: 94
Carbs: 14g
Fat: 1g
Protein: 4g
Dietary Fiber: 1g
Cholesterol: 3mg
Sodium: 94mg
Calcium: 81mg

**Some of the above (Dietary Fiber and below) might be slightly different because I used lowfat yogurt**

The soup was tasty, but I kind of like my soups to be thick and this one was water thin. I'm also thinking that I should take pictures of the meal that I will be highlighting each day...next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment