Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Day 7: Beef & Broccoli

Here are my meals for today!

Breakfast:
Greek lowfat yogurt with granola, cherries, and maple syrup.
Tea and honey

Lunch:
Salad with goat cheese, beans, plum tomatoes, clementine, avocado, and salad dressing.
Homemade bread with butter

Dinner:
Beef and Broccoli (see recipe below)
Rice

Snacks:
Almonds
Dried Cherries
TJs small ice-cream cones, vanilla.

Recipe: Beef and Broccoli


I'm a pretty big fan of Beef & Broccoli, but I know that the kind that you get from restaurants is not on the low calorie side. I found the recipe listed below from The Meal Planner and I thought that I would give it a try. It actually tasted pretty good. In the future I would not add as many chili flakes because it was a little too spicy for me. My husband thought that it needed to be sweeter.

Ingredients:

Marinade for Steak:
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 tbsp soy sauce (I used low sodium)
2 tbsp water
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp minced garlic
1 lb flank or sirloin steak cut across the grain, into thin 2 inch strips (I got sirloin steak and only .89lbs, so not a full pound).

Stir-Fry Sauce:
2 tsp cornstarch
2 tsp oyster sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tbsp water
1 tbsp garlic sauce or stir-fry sauce (I didn't have anything like this, so I used Trader Joe's Island Soyaki sauce)

Stir-Fry:
2 tsp grated fresh ginger
1/2 tsp chili flakes (I would only use 1/4 tsp next time)
2 green onions, sliced
3 cups broccoli, cut into florets

Directions:

Marinade:
In a bowl combine all ingredients listed under "Marinade" and toss with a fork until well coated (we put ours in a freezer Zip-Loc bag). Cover and leave in fridge overnight.

Stir-Fry Sauce:
All all these ingredients in a jar and shake it up. Leave it to sit overnight in the fridge.

Stir-Fry:
Heat a wok or skillet to medium-high. Add the ginger, drained beef and chili flakes. Then add the onions and broccoli. Toss until the meat browns. When the meat is browned, add the stir-fry sauce and cook until thickened Serve!

Nutritional Information:
Serving Size: 4
Calories: 228
Carbs: 12
Fat:7
Protein: 27

No comments:

Post a Comment