Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Day 13: Happy Anniversary to Me



The other day (Sunday and today is Tuesday) I was thinking that my blog needed to be updated in it's look because I felt like it needed a change, something cleaner. As I was in the process of changing it up I decided to look through some past posts. I came across my first 30 day challenge and I happened to start it on January 30th, which is the date (one year later) of this post. I'm actually a day late posting because yesterday was draining and I didn't feel like blogging. Anyway, Happy 1 year anniversary to my blog!

For yesterday I ate the following:

Breakfast:
Kale, tomato, and cheese omelet with an egg and egg whites and some avocado on top.

Lunch:
Leftover chicken parmesan with angel hair pasta and homemade tomato sauce

Dinner:
The same as lunch. I had another meal planned, but Big Bubs and Little Bubs didn't want me cooking, so I said, "forget it" and had the rest of the leftovers. I had also previously cooked a meal for a friend that recently had a baby, so I was a little burned out on cooking dinner meals.

Snacks:
Almonds
Goldfish
Popped potato chips
Homemade bread
Cereal (Crispy Rice, Koala Crisp, and rice milk)

Recipe: Healthy Cupcakes

I decided that for the one year anniversary of my blog I would make some cupcakes (I actually made these tonight and not on Day 13, but oh well!). I Googled lots of different recipes to try and find some cupcakes that were healthy and I decided to try this recipe from toneitup.com. They are all about using Stevia in their recipes and I thought that I would give it a shot. It turns out that I don't like the aftertaste of Stevia at all, so these cupcakes were a no go for me. If you do like Stevia, which my boys didn't mind at all, then these would probably taste pretty good.

Ingredients:
Cake:
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 vanilla whey protein powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup sugar
3 tbsp stevia powder (I used Truvia)
2 eggs
3 tsp Canola oil
1/2 plain lowfat yogurt (their recipe calls for nonfat, but I only had lowfat)
2 tsp vanilla extract

Frosting:
8 oz light cream cheese
2 tbsp greek lowfat yogurt
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp stevia powder
**The above amount of frosting was too much for me and I only used about 1/2, but I also didn't glob the frosting on the cupcakes.

Directions:
1. Heat the oven to 375ยบ

2. Add the six dry ingredients for the cake in a bowl and mix. Then add the bottom four "wet" ingredients into the dry mix and whisk (or mix) until incorporated.

3. Line a mini muffin pan with cupcake wrappers and then spray with some non-stick spray (I used olive oil)

4. Spoon in batter into the cupcake wrappers. Fill them until they are 2/3 full. Once they are all filled put the pan in the oven and bake for 14-17 minutes. I baked mine for 7 minutes and then rotated them in the oven and baked them for another 7 minutes.

5. While the cupcakes are cooking mix together all of the ingredients for the frosting (I used an electric mixer). If you would like the frosting pink you would add in a raspberry or two (or any colored fruit).

6. The cupcakes are done when you can pull a toothpick out of them and nothing sticks to the toothpick. Take the cupcakes out and let them cool for a minute in the pan. Remove the cupcakes and put them on a wire rack and let them cool completely.

7. When the cupcakes are cool you can now frost them. Or you can get a cute kid to help you frost them and add sprinkles on them! Serve.


Nutritional Information:
Serving: 1 mini cupcake (I was able to make a total of 29)
Calories: 54
Carbs: 8
Fat: 3
Protein: 3
**The above was a little high for my cupcakes since I had only used 1/2 the frosting.

No comments:

Post a Comment