Monday, January 23, 2012

Day 6: Skillet Sweet Potato, Sausage, and Apple Hash

What I have determined from doing this 30 Day Challenge is that I need to learn how to take better pictures! I guess that I should have learned that during my Photo Challenge :)! All of the pictures of the food that I am taking don't really do it justice and the pictures of the food from the other websites that I get the recipes from make the food look even better than what it turns out to look like. I guess that I should have a future challenge where I learn to take better pictures in 30 days!

Onto today!

Breakfast:
Cheese, spinach, and tomato omelet (with an egg and egg whites), homemade artisan bread, and some tea with honey.

Lunch:
Leftover taco meat with beans, tomatoes, lite cheese, lettuce, and greek yogurt (I wouldn't call it a taco salad because there was not a lot of lettuce in it!). Plus, some more bread.

Dinner:
Sweet Potato, Sausage, and Apple Hash (see recipe below) with some bread...I'm addicted to this bread today! It really tastes great and knowing that it is homemade is awesome!

Snacks:
Almonds
Dried Cherries
Popped Potato Chips
Bread and butter (here I go again with the bread!)

Recipe:

Skillet Sweet Potato, Sausage, and Apple Hash



I got the Skillet Sweet Potato, Sausage, and Apple Hash from the blog Multiply Delicious and it looked yummy. The lady that does this blog is into the Paleo Diet and the diet has me intrigued, but not enough to give up my carbs that I get from flour (did you see how much bread I ate today?). I made some changes to her recipe and directions, but I am sure that both of ours end up really similar.

Ingredients:
2 small to medium sweet potatoes, peeled & diced (about 1 1/2 cups diced)
1 apple, peeled, cored, and diced (about 1 cup)
1 1/2 tbsp coconut oil, divided (I think that 1 tbsp might be enough)
3 Italian chicken sausages, removed from casing (9 oz total)
1 small sweet yellow onion, diced (1/2 cup)
2 to 3 large cups of baby spinach (I only used 2)
Pinch of cinnamon (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

In a large skillet (we use our cast iron skillets), heat 1 tablespoon coconut oil over medium-high heat. Once heated, add the diced sweet potatoes, apples, and onions. Add a pinch of cinnamon and salt to the pan.

Cook until the sweet potatoes, onions, and apples are softened (about 5 minutes).

Add to the skillet the 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil (or you could omit this) and then add the chicken sausage making sure to break the sausage up into small pieces while it cooks.

Once the chicken is no longer pink in color and completely cooked add the spinach to the skillet (the spinach should wilt in 1-2 minutes). Season with salt and pepper and serve :)



Nutritional Information:
*I just want to put out the disclaimer that I get the nutritional information from My Fitness Pal's recipe calculator and I can only assume that it is fairly accurate.

Serving size: 3 (1 cup each)
Calories: 375
Carbs: 32g
Fat: 19g
Protein: 19g

No comments:

Post a Comment