Friday, February 3, 2012

Day 16: Light Wheat Brioche Buns


Sorry about the late posts, but I have been trying to catch up on some other stuff and this blog was put on the back burner for a little bit. Hopefully, I can get through this post and the next one before falling asleep (Little Bubs woke up super early today)!

What was on my menu for Thursday:

Breakfast:
Cheese and avocado omelet
Homemade bread with butter

Lunch:
Turkey sandwich
Monterrey Jack cheese stick

Dinner:
Hamburger (using grass-fed beef) with homemade buns (see recipe below).
Green beans

Snacks:
Healthy cupcake
Goldfish
Cinnamon schoolbook cookies (someone has a sweet tooth!)

Recipe: Light Wheat Broche Buns

I got this recipe from Hungry Girl Por Vida and I had made the Turkey burger recipe that she had around Thanksgiving time and it was delicious. At the time I didn't feel like taking more time to make the buns, so I skipped it, but the thought of making the buns was always in the back of my mind. I was very happy that I had a reason to make them. When these buns were baking it made the house smell so good! The buns turned out delicious and the recipe was fairly easy.

Ingredients:
3/4 cup warm water
1/4 cup + 3 tbsp warm milk
2 tsp dry yeast
2 tbsp honey
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups bread flour
1 1/2 + 1/3 cup white whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
4 tbsp butter, room temperature
1 tbsp half & half
sesame seeds for sprinkling

Directions:

1. Put the water and milk in a container and heat up. The mixture should register 100ยบ (warm). Once it is warm add the honey and then the yeast. Let it sit for five minutes, or until foamy.

2. Lightly beat one egg in a small dish and set aside.

3. In a stand mixer, whisk together the flours and salt. Rub butter into flour mixture with your fingertips. Mix in the yeast and water mixture, as well as the egg. Knead with the dough hook for 5 minutes. The dough will pull from the sides of the bowl and form a ball, the dough ball should be tacky to the touch. Rise, covered with plastic for 1-2 hours until doubled in bulk.

4. Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces and roll into balls. Place the dough portions on a parchment lined baking sheet and cover loosely, allow to rise another hour.

5. Preheat oven to 400F.

6. Whisk together the remaining egg and cream (egg wash), brush the tops of the dough with egg wash and sprinkle with seeds. Bake buns in the center of the oven for 15 minutes, rotating halfway through. The buns should be golden brown and sound hollow when tapped on the bottom. Allow to cool on a cooling rack. Buns can be baked and frozen in a resealable plastic bag for use later. Just defrost for 1-2 hours on the counter, or overnight in the refrigerator.

Nutritional Information:
Serving Size: 1 bun (makes 8)
Calories: 278
Carbs: 43
Fat: 8
Protein: 9

2 comments:

  1. That looks so good! Do you feel like you are eating healthier posting your daily eats?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A little bit. I am mostly counting calories on another site and I think that is making me more accountable for what I eat. I find myself going to the carbs a lot for my snacks instead of the fruits and veggies and I really have to switch that up! The buns were really good and usually when I have a sandwich or hamburger I only have 1/2 of the bun, but these smelled so good that I had a whole one :) On another note we need to get together one of these days!

      Delete