Thursday, February 9, 2012

Day 23: Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich



I've come to the realization, just a couple of seconds ago, that when I am active during the day I eat less! I should have realized this much sooner, but I didn't. I was entering in all of my food for today and I still need to eat more. I was surprised that I still had some to eat because I wasn't feeling ravenous during the day and I didn't do a lot of snacking. I also feel pretty satisfied right now. I do know that after I do a run or workout I never feel hungry. I have some friends that are "starving" after they workout and that has never been me. I guess this means that I just need to be more active so that I am not constantly thinking of food and what I want to eat all day long!

Here is what I ate:

Breakfast:
Kale, avocado, cheese, and tomato omelet with an egg and egg whites
Homemade bread
(My breakfasts must be getting boring because I really only have three that I do!)

Lunch:
Leftover minestrone soup (and yes I still have more leftover!)
Homemade bread
Strawberries

Dinner:
Asparagus
Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich (see recipe below)

Snacks:
Almonds
Cucumber
Tomato and basil hummus
??-I still have to figure out what I'm going to eat :)

Recipe: Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich (not including the bread)
I was looking for recipes that had beef in them (I like to have at least one beef meal a week) and I came across this one at Eating Well. I have never been interested in this meal because I wasn't a huge pepper or onion fan, but I've come around. I only ever have had one Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich and it was just alright. I was later told that to get a traditional one I need Cheez Whiz on it. This recipe was rated highly and the calorie count (with the bread) was fairly low, so I decided to give it a try. Boy am I glad that I gave it a try. It was REALLY good! So much better than the one that I had and my husband, who has had more of these, really liked it. Both of the boys ate it too, which like I've mentioned before is a good sign!

Ingredients:
2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, sliced
1 red or green bell pepper, sliced
8 oz mushrooms, sliced
2 tsp dried oregano (or 2 tbsp fresh)
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1 lb sirloin steak, trimmed & thinly sliced
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp all-purpose flour
1/4 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
3 slices reduced-fat provolone cheese (about 3 ounces)


Directions:
1. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until soft and beginning to brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Add mushrooms, bell pepper, oregano and pepper and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are wilted and soft, about 7 minutes. Add steak and salt and cook, stirring, until the meat is just cooked through, about 4 minutes.


2. Reduce heat to low. Sprinkle the vegetables and meat with flour; stir to coat. Stir in the broth; bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat; lay cheese slices on top of the vegetables and meat, cover and let stand until melted, 1 to 2 minutes.


3. Divide into 4 portions with a spatula, leaving the melted cheese layer on top. Scoop a portion onto each bun (or your choice of bread) and serve immediately.


Nutritional Information:
I got this information on My Fitness Pal. I wasn't going to use a bun that is suggested in the original recipe, so I needed to know what the calories were for just the Cheese Steak portion.
Serving size: 4
Calories: 276
Carbs: 8
Fat: 20
Protein: 34

No comments:

Post a Comment