Sunday, February 19, 2012

Day 29: Old Time Beef Stew

Ugh! I really don't want to do this post because it just brings me back to the last thing I started eating before I started puking :(. Just the thought of it makes my stomach turn. It is funny how your brain does that after you throw-up whether it be from food or alcohol! What's even worse than this meal is popcorn for me. That was actually the very last thing that I ate and that sounds so unappetizing to me! My husband had some a day after I was sick and the smell made me want to throw-up some more....deep breath, here it goes.

Breakfast:
Trader Joe's Apple Cereal Bar

Lunch:
Leftover turkey cutlets with cranberries and apples
Broccoli
Salami

Dinner:
Old-Time Beef Stew (see recipe below)
Salad with blueberries, goat cheese, cucumbers, tomatoes, & salad dressing. When I started feeling sick I was sure that it was the lettuce that was making me sick. When I opened the not-yet-expired bag it smelled like it was getting close to being bad, but I thought that it would be alright. It wasn't until I kept being sick that I realized it wasn't the lettuce!
Here's my salad. I thought that it looked pretty and yummy!



Snacks:
TJs mini ice-cream
Homemade strawberry cereal bars
Popcorn

Recipe: Old-Time Beef Stew


I believe that my husband came across this recipe from The Food Network one day when we were looking to do a beef stew. The recipe seemed really simple and not that bad for you, which was surprising because it was one of Paula Deen's recipes. It is very tasty and simple to make.

Ingredients: I did change up a couple of things to her recipe to make it a little healthier
1.5 pounds stew beef
1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 cups water
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 clove garlic, peeled
1 or 2 bay leaves
1 medium onion, sliced
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp paprika
Dash ground allspice or ground cloves
3 large carrots, sliced
3 ribs celery, chopped (these came from my garden!)
1 tbsp cornstarch

Directions:
1. Brown meat in hot oil. Add water, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, bay leaves, onion, salt, sugar, pepper, paprika, and allspice. Cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours.

2. Remove bay leaves and garlic clove. Add carrots and celery. Cover and cook 30 to 40 minutes longer.

3. To thicken gravy, remove 2 cups hot liquid (I only did 1 cup). Using a separate bowl, combine 1/4 cup water and cornstarch until smooth. Mix with a little hot liquid and return mixture to pot. Stir and cook until bubbly. Serve!

Nutritional Information:
Serving Size: 6 people (4 oz of meat per person)
Calories: 199
Carbs: 11
Fat: 6
Protein: 24

No comments:

Post a Comment