Monday, February 13, 2012

Day 27: Turkey Cutlets with Cranberries and Apples and Chia Seed Pudding



I am going to try and get two blog posts done today, so let's get started!

Breakfast:
Kale, egg whites, and an egg
Cherry tomatoes
Homemade buttermilk bread with butter

Lunch:
Blue corn tortilla with shredded lite cheese and chicken

Dinner:
Turkey Cutlets with Cranberries and Apples (see recipe below)
Steamed broccoli

Snacks:
Chia seed pudding (see recipe below)
Goldfish crackers
Artic zero strawberry ice-cream

Recipes:

Turkey Cutlets with Cranberries and Apples
This recipe comes from America's Test Kitchen Healthy Family Cookbook. This was the first time that I made it and I thought that it turned out tasty. It wasn't my favorite dish that I've ever made, but I enjoyed it. The recipe that they have highlighted in the book is made with cranberries and red wine, but I decided to use their modified version of apples instead. I think that it probably tastes even better with the red wine, especially if you are a wine fan.



Ingredients:
Cutlets:
1/2 cup all-purpose flour (I probably only used 1/4 cup)
6 (4-ounce) turkey cutlets, pounded 1/4 inch thick
Salt and pepper
2 tbsp canola oil

Sauce:
2 shallots, sliced thin
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp fresh thyme, minced
1 tbsp all-purpose flour
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and chopped small
3/4 cup apple juice
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar


To peel, core, and slice apples this gadget is the best!

Directions:
1. For the cutlets: Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 200ยบ. SPread the flour into a shallow dish. Pat the cutlets dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Dredge the cutlets in the flour to coat and shake off an excess.

2. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Add half of the cutlets and cook until light golden brown on both sides, about 4 minutes. Transfer the cutlets to a plate and keep warm in the oven. Repeat with the remaining oil and cutlets. Do not wipe out the skillet.

3. For the sauce: Add the shallots and apples to the skillet and cook over medium heat until softened, about 2 minutes. Stir in the garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the flour and cook for 30 seconds. Whisk in the apple juice, vinegar, broth, and cranberries, scraping up any browned bits.

4. Bring to a simmer and cook until the sauce has reduced to 1 cup, about 3 minutes. Stir in any accumulated turkey juice, season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve with the cutlets.

Nutritional Information:
Serving Size: 4. 6 oz of turkey and 1/4 cup of the sauce
Calories: 390
Carbs: 36
Fat: 8
Protein: 44

Chia Seed Pudding
My husband and I got introduced to Chia Seeds when we were reading the book Born to Run. The book is about running and the Tarahumara Indians of Mexico are incredible runners and one of the things that they eat are chia seeds. Chia seeds are really good for you and are a bit slimy, but aren't that bad. I wasn't sure how this recipe from What's Cooking Good Looking would turn out, but I ended up LOVING it! It is a little high in calories, but it would be a great snack/meal after a workout!



Ingredients:
1 cup almond milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp maple syrup
3 tbsp chia seeds
cinnamon, for garnish



Directions:
1. In a glass cup, mix together the almond milk, vanilla extract, and maple syrup until combined. Then gently stir in the chia seeds. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours. Ideally it is best to have it sit overnight to allow the chia seeds to gel and firm up.

2. Serve with a dusting of cinnamon on top.



Nutritional Information:
This comes from My Fitness Pal's recipe calculator.
Serving Size: 1
Calories: 317
Carbs: 40
Fat: 18
Protein: 9

2 comments:

  1. Is it kind of like tapioca? I recently ran into someone who had chia seeds in her water bottle. It looked a little gross to me. However, I am intrigued by the nutritional claims. So great that you have included recipes and pictures of the foods. I may try some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that it is a little like tapioca. I don't think that I could ever just have chia seeds in water because that does sound a little gross to me. We put them in our oatmeal or with some beverage that is flavored. This pudding was actually really tasty and I enjoyed it a lot. It is kind of a lot of calories for a snack, but those mostly come from the chia seeds which are really good for you.

    ReplyDelete