Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Day 21: Kale Chips


Today was all about eating leftovers, so I didn't have any big meals planned out, so I thought that I would bake one of my favorite snacks, Kale Chips! I had never eaten Kale before and I just assumed that it didn't taste great because I am not a huge veggie person. Then during a visit to our house my sister in-law made some Kale Chips and they were delicious! She had called them "Crack Kale" because they were so addicting and I thought that the name was appropriate. After that first encounter I have become a Kale fan. I love the taste of it! BTW, I can hardly move today because of the working out I did yesterday!

Before I get to the recipe here is what I had to eat today:

Breakfast:
Steel-cut oatmeal with brown sugar and fresh strawberries and blueberries

Lunch:
Leftover enchiladas
Salami (the boys had some salami sandwiches and I just couldn't help myself!)

Dinner:
Leftover Minestrone soup

Snacks:
Goldfish crackers
Almonds
Roasted Seaweed
Mini ice-cream cone
Schoolbook cookies
Baked Kale Chips (see recipe below)

Recipe: Baked Kale Chips

I have made these before and you can Google and find recipes for these everywhere. I just went with what the majority of them said to do and use.

Ingredients:
1 bunch of kale, washed and leafy parts removed from stem and torn into pieces
1 tbsp olive oil
salt to taste

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 350ยบ. Wash the kale and let it dry completely (you can use a salad spinner, towel, or let it air dry).


2. Drizzle the olive oil on the kale and then mix the kale and olive oil together with your hands.



3. Put the kale pieces on a baking sheet (not to crammed, so it should take about two sheets) and season with salt.

4. Bake the kale until they are brown on the edges, but not burnt. I baked them for 10 minutes. Serve!



*You really want to try and get organic kale. Kale is one of the dirty dozen foods to eat because it has the highest pesticide residue on it.

Nutritional Information:
I once again used My Fitness Pal to calculate the NI, but I am not sure how correct it is because I don't exactly know how much kale I had (I forgot to weigh or measure it), but I think that it is close.
Serving Size: 4
Calories: 130
Carbs: 14
Fat: 7
Protein: 4

No comments:

Post a Comment